The materials and services of the Archives and Special Collections Department of the Athens Regional Library System lay a foundation of who we are today in Athens-Clarke County, Franklin County, Madison County, Oconee County, and Oglethorpe County. Whether you’re a new arrival or lifelong resident, (re)discover what makes our region great.
The Archives & Special Collections arm of the Athens Regional Library System is housed out of the Athens-Clarke County Heritage Room, however, each branch has either collections or dedicated research rooms available to those interested in genealogy, local history, or archives.
- Explore history as it happened with extensive newspaper archives, yearbooks and other artifacts.
- Join one of the country’s most popular hobbies and trace your genealogy.
- Our main subject areas of collection are as follows:
- Business, economic, social, cultural, educational, natural, and transportation history;
- Government and politics, including settlement of the region and armed conflict;
- Geology, archaeology, and geography, and their effects on the history and development of the region.
Email our Archives & Special Collections Department or call at (706) 613-3650 ext. 350 to start learning and researching today!