Prepared by: Valerie Bell & Resource, Date: 06/26/2022
Submitted to: ARLS Policy Committee, Date:07/07/2022
Approved by: ARLS Board of Trustees, Date: 07/21/2022
Handouts & Bulletin Board Postings in the Athens Regional Library System Libraries
In the spirit of community partnerships, the libraries may provide a designated space on a public bulletin board for announcements and notices of local community events. The libraries may also provide literature display racks for distribution of free handouts, notices, and other materials which may be of interest to the community. Both of these services are in keeping with the library’s overall philosophy of providing access to a wide range of information sources.
- Space is designated in order of priority to:
- Library events and Friends of the Library Groups
- Local Government notices and publications.
- Other government notices and publications of local interest.
- County educational institution notices and publications.
- County non-profit organization materials of local interest.
- All notices, posters and free literature must be approved, posted, and removed from the bulletin board or display racks by authorized library staff.
- Staff will discard items not approved for placement, and excess copies of any items received.
- Event announcements must be for not-for-profit events that are free and open to the public.
- All items must identify the organization including: name, address, and phone number.
- Community newsletters, magazines, newspapers, and other publications distributed free of charge (with or without advertising) containing information of local interest will be considered for placement in the designated literature display racks as space allows. Library staff will not be responsible for storing excess copies of these publications.
- Items will be posted or made available on an equitable basis, subject to available space, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of the individuals or groups represented. There will be zero tolerance for materials advocating hate speech, drug use or illegal activities.
- The library reserves the right to limit the size, number of items, and length of posting. Activities with no specific date will be posted for a period of approximately 14 days, which may be extended if space permits.
- Forms of literature unacceptable for library posting or display include:
- Items devoted solely to the sale, advertising, solicitation, or promotion of products or services will not be accepted.
- Materials whose primary purpose serves as political campaign literature.
- Materials whose primary purpose serves as religious literature.
- Personal notices or handouts (roommates, lost pets, free pets, yard sales, etc.)
- Requests for study participants for medical or other research.
- Direct requests for contributions not associated with a Library-sponsored or Friends of the Library-sponsored event or campaign.
- Posting of a notice or placement of materials in a display rack does not imply endorsement by library staff or Board of Trustees.
- The ARLS Director or their designee reserves the right to review any and all requests for use of public bulletin boards or literature racks and may reject any which they deem unsuitable or inappropriate.
- Complaints about this public display and distribution policy or about the content of anything being displayed or distributed there should be addressed in writing to the Branch Manager or ARLS Director for local review by the the local County Board of Trustees as outlined on the library’s Request for Reconsideration form.
- If necessary, an appeal is heard by the ARLS Board of Trustees. Their decision will be final.