- Full time; salary; exempt with benefits
- Hours: 40 hours per week, may require some nights and weekends
- Salary: $43,700 per year
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Bilingual (Spanish/English) skills preferred.
Athens Regional Library System is committed to our Vision: Engaging Communities and Exceeding Expectations, which we achieve through the everyday practice of our organizational values. It is through our values we provide an atmosphere and work environment that is inclusive, supportive of our community, respectful, committed to excellence and welcoming.
This position works with the Executive Director on all official communications for the regional system. This position supports the goals and objectives of the library system’s strategic plan through effective external communication planning and implementation. The ideal candidate is creative, organized and detail oriented. This position serves as a member of the Library’s Management Team and supervises a staff of two part-time employees.
Minimum Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, graphic design, advertising, marketing, communications or related field required.
- Four years of direct PR-related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position.
Essential Job Functions
The following duties are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties of a similar nature may be required and assigned, and job assignments and schedules may change in the future.
- Work with a team to plan, execute and evaluate publicity for library resources, services and events.
- Provide communications support to library branches.
- Write and disseminate news releases and radio public service announcements.
- Maintain a media contact list and develop relationships with local media outlets and serve as media contact for the library.
- Actively seek and develop story ideas which promote the library system.
- Work with web developer on electronic communications including newsletters and website content.
- Coordinate the library’s presence on social media platforms.
- Photograph and/or film library events.
- Coordinate production of both digital and printed promotional materials.
- Work with a team to provide communications support for the Athens-Clarke County Library Foundation and Friends of Athens-Clarke County Library.
- Meets System expectation to participate in at least two approved off-site outreach programs each year.
- Meets System expectation to complete at least 10 hours of approved work-related training activities during each year of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as social skills.
- Ability to write for a variety of formats.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of AP Style.
- Skill in graphic design software, such as Adobe Creative Suite.
- Skill in Meta Business Suite.
- Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple projects.
- Skill in upholding the library’s core values: welcoming, committed to excellence, inclusive, and respectful.
- Broad competency knowledge and skills, and ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse workforce
- Handle confidential /sensitive information with discretion, tact, and diplomacy
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable, and punctual attendance.
- Physical demand requirements are at levels of Light Work.
Position Disclosure Statement
Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the library may provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees to discuss potential necessary accommodations. The library is a drug-free workplace and may require drug testing according to established policy. Hiring is contingent upon verification of identity; United States employment eligibility authorization through E-Verify will be required. Georgia is an open records state. Due to the volume of applications, applicants may not receive a reply from the library unless the applicant is selected for an interview.
Submit completed online ARLS job application including a resume and cover letter describing your qualifications for this position