- Status: Full time; non-exempt, with benefits
- Hours: 40 hours per week; requires weekend, and evening hours
- Salary: $33,800 annually
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Bilingual Skills (English-Spanish) preferred but not required.
Athens Regional Library System is committed to our Vision: Engaging Communities and Exceeding Expectations, which we achieve through the everyday practice of our organizational values. It is through our values we provide an atmosphere and work environment that is inclusive, supportive of our community, respectful, committed to excellence and welcoming.
The Athens Regional Library System is hiring a Branch Manager for our Oglethorpe County Library. The successful candidate will be a responsible, creative, and enthusiastic individual who embraces and thrives in an interactive, fast-paced, culturally diverse environment.
Purpose and Scope
The purpose of this job is to manage the daily operations of the Oglethorpe County Library and to ensure customer service and satisfaction for library patrons. The Branch Manager provides direct customer service, supervises staff, performs community outreach, oversees projects, attends meetings, handles problems, and performs additional tasks as assigned. The schedule for this position requires regular night and weekend work assignments. This position reports to the Assistant Director for Regional Services.
Minimum Training and Experience
College degree and three years of progressively responsible supervisory and customer service experience preferred. Previous library work experience strongly preferred. Or, any equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for the position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties of a similar nature may be required and assigned. Duties may change in the future.
- Oversees, plans and implements daily library operations and activities; keeps ARLS Assistant Director for Regional Services and administration informed concerning library operations.
- Provides direct customer service to library patrons, assisting them with all aspects of library service, including information, readers’ advisory and computing needs.
- Supervises all elements of materials circulation including check-in/-out, renewals, reserves, transits, notices, patron registration, fines collection, shelving, and shelf-reading.
- Serves as communication liaison by conveying messages between Oglethorpe County Board of Trustees members and Regional Library administration; attends Board meetings and reports on library activities; maintains local file of Board minutes and information.
- Serves as liaison with the Library Friends organization, assisting in the planning and staging of special events and fundraising activities that benefit the Library.
- Oversees and/or develops, coordinates, and implements, public program presentations for all ages at the library.
- Oversees regular library campus cleaning and grounds-keeping; oversees the safety and maintenance of library facilities; responds to and resolves inquiries regarding complaints, safety issues,and facility concerns.
- Oversees library supplies and required inventories of equipment and resources.
- Oversees recruitment, training, and work of library staff and volunteers.
- Works with Regional Library resource/collection development team to ensure branch materials collection meets patrons’ needs; makes recommendations for titles and subjects.
- Works within established guidelines to update the local library web page, informational brochures, and other promotional materials.
- Supervises staff and volunteers to ensure ongoing service, compliance with policies and procedures.
- Plans and maintains daily and monthly staff schedules; submits timesheets, and approves leave.
- Prioritizes and assigns work.
- Keeps staff informed concerning ARLS and branch library policies, procedures, and news.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of customer service principles and skill in providing positive, efficient professional customer service to patrons of all ages.
- Knowledge of library practices and skill in applying ARLS and branch policies and procedures to library activities, including handling emergency situations and resolving problems successfully.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion and to make independent and critical decisions, using established procedures and practices.
- Skill in managing staff, including setting priorities, developing and implementing efficient procedures, maintaining standards, and addressing problems.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to interact successfully with patrons, staff, and all others involved in library activities.
- Skill in program planning and implementation, including public speaking and program presentation techniques appropriate to targeted audiences.
- Ability to assemble information and submit accurate, clear, timely reports and documents.
- Knowledge of basic budgeting principles; ability to follow budget guidelines and to maintain basic financial reports.
- Personal computer proficiency, thorough understanding of automated integrated library systems, and ability to adapt to new technologies.
- Knowledge of basic office principles and skill in performing office work, including ability to collect cash money and make correct change mentally.
- Aptitude for creative projects such displays, crafts, decorations and publicity.
Position Disclosure Statement
Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the library may provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees to discuss potential necessary accommodations. The library is a drug-free workplace and may require drug testing according to established policy. Hiring is contingent upon verification of identity; United States employment eligibility authorization through E-Verify will be required. Georgia is an open records state. Due to the volume of applications, applicants may not receive a reply from the library unless the applicant is selected for an interview.
Submit completed online ARLS job application at www.athenslibrary.org, including a resume and cover letter describing your qualifications for this position.