- Status: Part-time; hourly; non-exempt; without benefits
- Hours: 17 hours per week; requires nights and weekends
- Salary: $11.00 per hour
- Application Deadline: Open until Filled
Bilingual Skills (English-Spanish) are preferred, though not required.
Athens Regional Library System is committed to our Vision: Engaging Communities and Exceeding Expectations, which we achieve through the everyday practice of our organizational values. It is through our values we provide an atmosphere and work environment that is inclusive, supportive of our community, respectful, committed to excellence and welcoming. The Oconee County Library will hire an experienced, responsible, creative, and enthusiastic individual who embraces and thrives in an active, fast-paced, culturally diverse environment. We seek an enthusiastic, innovative, and flexible individual who proactively searches for opportunities to make public library services relevant to all residents of Oconee County.
This position requires a positive customer service attitude, tactfulness, and excellent communication skills for working with library patrons, staff, and a second Teen Specialist. Creativity, high energy, and awareness of the world of teens are essential. In addition to general library duties, this position contributes to the creation of a welcoming environment, a relevant collection, and forward-thinking programming for teen and pre-teen audiences. Position reports to the Oconee County Librarian.
Minimum Training and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent required, with college degree or college experience preferred. At least one year experience working with the public is required, with library experience and experience working with teenagers preferred. A combination of education, training, and experience that provides requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for the position may also be considered.
Essential Job Functions
The following duties are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties of a similar nature may be required and assigned, and job assignments may change in the future.
- Provides direct customer service to library patrons, assisting with their information questions and readers’ advisory and circulation needs.
- Provides support in many areas of daily library operations, including (but not limited to) basic facility maintenance; organizing and re-shelving materials; accepting fees and fines; routing holds, loans and information; materials processing; recording statistics; performing basic office duties.
- Develops, creates and implements library programs for teen audiences, ages 11 – 18; communicates all plans and program feedback to supervisor.
- Develops, creates and implements library programs for children and tween audiences, ages 3 – 12; communicates all plans and program feedback to supervisor.
- Recommends professionally reviewed library materials to ARLS Selection Team as possible additions to the Teen collection.
- Maintains the library’s teen and children’s blog, Facebook page, and other social networking tools through monitoring, updating, and posting (within established guidelines) to increase awareness of programs and services.
- Works with schools to expand the reach of Teen services.
- Creates attractive and informative bulletin boards and displays.
- Prepares public relations notices, posters, flyers and monthly calendars for approval by supervisor.
- Coordinates activities with Children’s, Computer, and Adult Services specialists.
- Prepare bibliographies/reading lists for teen audiences.
- Assists and instructs library patrons in computer activities, including using the library’s catalog and databases, the Internet, and basic personal computing programs.
- Upholds all library policies, including the Code of Ethics as stated in the Personnel Policy.
- Meets System expectation to participate in at least two approved off-site outreach programs each year.
- Meets System expectation to complete at least 10 hours of approved work-related training activities during each year of employment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- May oversee operations of the library in the absence of the Branch Manager, being responsible for opening and closing the library.
- May train and oversee library volunteers as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of customer service principles and skill in providing customer service to patrons of all ages as well as to co-workers.
- Knowledge of children’s, teen, and adult literature.
- Skill in public speaking and program presentation techniques appropriate to the targeted audiences.
- Personal computer proficiency and the ability to use, understand, and assist patrons with various computer applications.
- Knowledge of PINES; ability to use the library’s automated system and the ability to assist public and other library staff in its use.
- Knowledge of basic library operational principles and practices and application of ARLS and branch policies, procedures, and activities.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills and ability to communicate successfully with patrons and staff.
- Organizational skills and the ability to plan and prioritize assignments and activities.
- Knowledge of basic office principles and skill in performing office support, including ability to collect cash money and make correct change mentally.
- Aptitude for creative projects such displays, crafts, decorations and publicity.
- Knowledge of all normal and emergency library building procedures.
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable, and punctual attendance.
- Physical demand requirements are at levels of Medium Work.
Position Disclosure Statement
Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the library may provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees to discuss potential necessary accommodations. The library is a drug-free workplace and may require drug testing according to established policy. Hiring is contingent upon verification of identity; United States employment eligibility authorization through E-Verify will be required. Georgia is an open records state. Due to the volume of applications, applicants may not receive a reply from the library unless the applicant is selected for an interview.
Submit completedonline ARLS job application at www.athenslibrary.org, including a resume and cover letter describing your qualifications for this position.