- Status: Full-time; non-exempt, with benefits
- Hours: 40 hours per week; requires afternoon and evening hours
- Salary: $35,000.00 per year
- Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Bilingual Skills: Must be bilingual, fluent in both Spanish and English.
Athens Regional Library System is committed to our Vision: Engaging Communities and Exceeding Expectations, which we achieve through the everyday practice of our organizational values. It is through our values we provide an atmosphere and work environment that is inclusive, supportive of our community, respectful, committed to excellence and welcoming.
The Athens Regional Library System is hiring a Branch Manager for our Pinewoods Library and Learning Center. The successful candidate will be a responsible, creative, and enthusiastic individual who embraces and thrives in an interactive, fast-paced, culturally diverse environment.
The Branch Manager is required to possess fluency (verbal and written) in both Spanish and English. This position will represent ARLS, and develop and implement initiatives that increase library visibility within the surrounding community. The successful candidate will be self-motivated, enthusiastic and community-driven to fill this exciting role. This position requires someone equipped with a positive attitude and readiness to be a team player. They should be comfortable making presentations, and be available to attend evening and weekend community events and meetings. This position reports to the Assistant Director for Regional Services.
Minimum Training and Experience
Fluency in both Spanish and English. High school diploma is required. At least two years of working with the public, or, any equivalent combination of education, training & experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills & abilities for the position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The following are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties of a similar nature may be required & assigned, & job assignments may change in the future.
- Builds and maintains relationships with local constituents, partners, and stakeholders and generally promotes Pinewoods Library’s image and programs to the community.
- Maintains a calendar of outreach activities, including community events, workshops, appearances and other communication opportunities.
- Is a liaison with new and existing community partners
- Develops opportunities for library volunteers including teens and children.
- Works with the ARLS Public Information Officer develop social media, website and publicity communications (bi-lingual).
- Oversees, plans and implements daily library operations and activities for branch library
- Provides direct customer service to library patrons, assisting with all aspects of library service, including information, readers’ advisory, and computing needs.
- Upholds all library policies, including the Patron Responsibilities and Code of Ethics statement.
- Monitors and responds to the safety and security of library patrons, staff and facility. Expedites satisfactory resolutions. Oversees regular library campuses, facilities cleaning, and groundskeeping.
- Maintains and submits required reports; attends Branch Manager meetings, and works with ARLS team to ensure efficient delivery of services.
- Works with ARLS resource/collection development team to ensure branch materials collection meets patrons’ needs; makes recommendations for titles and subjects
- Oversees the development, or implements, public program presentations for all ages, examples include children’s story times, computer training classes, and civic and cultural events
- Plans and maintains daily and monthly staff schedules; submits timesheets; approves leave.
- Prioritizes and directs staff work assignments.
- Keeps staff informed concerning ARLS and branch library policies, procedures, and news.
- Oversees the recruitment, hiring and training of library staff.
- Conducts performance evaluations for assigned staff.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Effective communication & interpersonal skills & ability to translate documents & to communicate fluently with patrons who speak Spanish and/or English
- Personal computer proficiency & the ability to use, understand, & assist patrons with computer applications
- Skill in program presentation techniques appropriate to targeted audiences
- Ability to learn basic library operational principles & practices & application of ARLS & branch policies, procedures & activities
- Knowledge of all normal & emergency library building procedures
- Organizational skills & the ability to plan & prioritize assignments & activities
- Knowledge of basic office principles & skill in performing office support
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule, punctual attendance, sometimes with short notice.
Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the library may provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees to discuss potential necessary accommodations. The library is a drug-free workplace and may require drug testing according to established policy. Hiring is contingent upon verification of identity; United States employment eligibility authorization through E-Verify will be required. Georgia is an open records state. Due to the volume of applications, applicants may not receive a reply from the library unless the applicant is selected for an interview.
Submit completed online ARLS job application including a resume and cover letter describing your qualifications for this position.