Acceptance of U.S. Passport Applications

Passport services are available at the アテネ クラーク郡図書館 only. 

Please visit our FAQ page for updated information about Passport Services.


Please call 706-613-3650 to set up your appointment. Our passport staff will go over the  documentation and fees you will need to bring with you.

Other Passport Information

U.S. Department of State Passports website

If you have questions please call 706-613-3650, ext. 356, or email the Reference desk at

Answers to Your Questions

Who provides the U.S. Acceptance Service?

Designated Library staff are trained and authorized to be official Passport Acceptance Agents. They are required to follow all Federal rules and regulations with no exceptions.

You will be denied service if you do not supply the required documentation or adhere to U.S. Passport Acceptance rules and regulations.

What is acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship?

  • You must provide the ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE, or a Certified copy (a copy with a raised seal), or an expired passport.
    • Unacceptable Birth Certificates include:
    • Photocopies
    • Notarized Copies
    • Hospital Birth Certificates
    • Baptismal Certificates
    • Birth Registrations
  • Your CERTIFIED BIRTH CERTIFICATE will be submitted with your passport application. Please make a copy of your BIRTH CERTIFICATE as it will be inserted into the application.
  • If you are a naturalized U.S. Citizen you must provide your CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION. This certificate will be submitted with your passport application.
  • These original documents will be returned with your new passport.

Where can I obtain a Certified Birth Certificate?

For Georgia-born residents this certificate may be obtained by contacting the Georgia office of Vital Records at:

Vital Records
2600 Skyland Drive NE
Atlanta, GA 30319-3640

or go to:

For all other states, you may contact the department of vital records for the State in which you were born, or go to, or call 1-800-255-2414.

What is acceptable proof of identification?

Adults may submit their current valid Driver’s License, government-issued ID card, or other forms of identity (call 706-613-3650, ext. 356 for details).

Are the passport forms available for download?

Passport forms are available for download in PDF format via the State Department Web pages at

Where do I get the photographs?

You can get your photos from the Photo Booth in the library. The cost is$12.99 and is payable by credit or debit card only. Please note, the photo booth is not suitable for infants and young children. Businesses such as Walgreen’s, CVS and FedEx also provide passport photos.

What do I do if I have lost or damaged my passport?

If you have lost or damaged your current U.S. Passport, you must apply for a new passport and you must submit all original documentation. For a lost passport, you must also submit the form DS-64, “Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport.”

If your passport was stolen, you need to contact Passport Services immediately. You must apply for a new passport using the information above.

My passport has recently expired. How do I renew it?

Citizens wishing to renew their U.S. passports which are less than 15 years old from the date of issue may pick up the renewal form at the library and then submit them through the mail. Applicants must have been at least 16 years of age when last passport was issued. If the last name has changed because of marriage, the applicant must show I.D. with same last name, or a certified name change document must be presented. You can also download a Passport Renewal Form here.

How long will it take to get my passport?

Customers are encouraged to visit the U.S. Department of State’s website for the most up-to-date information regarding processing times.

Please be advised that the Athens-Clarke County Library has no authority to modify time frames. Once the applications leave our facility, we have no control over the passport-issuing process.

How much does it cost to get a passport at the library?

Fees are payable by check or money order only. Fees are payable to the “U.S. Department of State” as follows:

  • New or Replacement Book, or Renewal of Passport Book: Passport books are required for all international air travel.
    • $130 for persons age 16 and older
    • $100 for persons under the age of 16
    • Expedited Services available for an additional $60
  • New or Replacement Passport Card, or Renewal of Passport Card: Please note that passport cards are valid only for travel by land or sea to Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean.
    • $30 for persons age 16 and older
    • $15 for persons under the age of 16

What is the Acceptance or Execution fee?

The Acceptance / Execution Fee of $35.00 is paid as a separate fee to any Acceptance Agency, including the Athens-Clarke County Library. The fee is per application. The Library also accepts cash, personal checks (not starter checks), or money orders for the Execution fee.

Do my children need to accompany me when applying for their passports?

All applicants, including children, must be present when applying for a U.S. Passport.

If both parents are listed on the birth certificate, then both parents MUST be present and show identification when applying for their child’s passport if the child is under the age of 16. If one parent cannot be present when applying for their child’s passport, the parent’s consent must be notarized on either a “Statement of Consent” form (DS-3053), or in a separate notarized letter.

A certified birth certificate must also be presented when renewing a child’s passport when the child is still under 16 years of age. Passport patrons aged 16 and 17 who have their own Driver’s License are still considered minors and must have at least one parent with ID present.

What if I have been divorced and have remarried since I last applied for my passport?

If your current married name is shown on your current identification, you will submit your application, birth certificate or expired passport. There is space at the bottom of the application for former names (maiden, married).

If your current married name is not shown on your current identification, you will submit your application, birth certificate or expired passport, and your original marriage certificate.

My question has not been asked and answered here. Where can I go for more information?

For more information call the National Passport Information Center at their TOLL FREE number: (877) 487-2778.


あなたの図書館をより良くするための一員になりませんか?時間のボランティアから、Friends of the Library への参加、金銭的な寄付まで、さまざまな方法で支援できます。