Title: ARLS Regional Policy: Americans with Disabilities Act Complaint
Prepared by: Valerie Bell & Resource Team & Branch Managers – October 6, 2023
Submitted to: ARLS Policy Committee – October 6, 2023
Approved by: ARLS Board of Trustees – Date: January 24, 1996, Revised October 19, 2023
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLAINT PROCEDURE
The Athens Regional Library System has adopted an internal grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by the U.S. Department of Justice regulations implementing Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Title II states, in part that “no otherwise qualified disabled individuals shall, solely by reasons of such disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination” in programs or activities sponsored by a public entity. Complaints should be addressed to the Human Resources Department Athens Regional Library System, 2025 Baxter Street, Athens, GA 30606.
Rules for filing complaints:
- A complaint should be filed in writing (including electronic communication) or verbally, contain the name and address of the person filing it, and briefly describe the alleged violation of the regulations.
- A complaint should be filed within 180 days after the complainant becomes aware of the alleged violation.
- An investigation, as may be appropriate, shall follow a filing of complaint. The investigation shall be conducted by library administration. These rules contemplate informal but thorough investigations, affording all interested persons and their representatives, if any, an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to a complaint.
- A written determination as to the validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution, if any, shall be issued by library administration and a copy forwarded to the complainant no later than seven days after its filing.
- The Human Resources Department shall maintain the files and records of the Athens Regional Library System relating to the complaints filed.
- The complainant can request a reconsideration of the case if dissatisfied with the resolution. The request for reconsideration should be made within seven days to the Library Director.
- The right of a person to a prompt and equitable resolution of the complaint filed hereunder shall not be impaired by the person’s pursuit of other remedies such as the filing of an ADA complaint with the responsible federal department or agency. Use of this grievance procedure is not a prerequisite to the pursuit of other remedies.
- These rules shall be construed to protect the substantive rights of interested persons to meet appropriate due process standards, and to assure that Athens Regional Library System complies with the ADA and implementing regulations.