Apply for a Library Card
Library cards are free to all residents of Georgia. Persons who attend school, own property or are employed in Georgia are eligible for a free PINES card. Patrons of both PINES and non-participating Georgia public libraries may receive a PINES card. PINES cards are valid for 2 years. Property owners who do not reside in Georgia may be required to show proof of ownership, such as a tax bill or deed. Persons employed in Georgia or attending school in Georgia may be required to show proof of employment or enrollment.
Out-of-state cards are available to persons living outside Georgia who do not meet the above criteria for a $25 annual fee, payable at the time the card is issued.
Signing a PINES card application indicates acceptance of responsibility for lost or damaged materials. There is no minimum age for a child to receive a PINES card. A parent or legal guardian may register a child. Parent or guardian must show proper ID to register a child. A parent or guardian must sign the application for all children under 18.
Proper identification must be presented to register.
An applicant for a new card is required to provide proper ID, which includes current local address.
Acceptable ID for a PINES card:
- photo ID showing current local address, OR
- photo ID and one item from approved list (see below) showing current, local address (if photo ID does not have correct address), OR
- TWO (2) items from approved list showing current, local address.
Acceptable ID includes:
- a valid driver’s license
- a valid voter registration card
- checks with pre-printed addresses
- a utility bill, tax receipt or other piece of mail that shows the user’s name and present address.
Check out library materials
A patron must present a card in good standing to borrow materials. A patron’s card will be blocked to additional borrowing if the patron owes $10 or more in unpaid fines and/or fees. Videos and DVDs check out for one week with no renewals. Books, audios, and CD’s check out for two weeks with two possible renewals.
Renew library materials
Two renewals are allowed on most items. Renewals may be accomplished in person, by telephoning ext. 304, or online through PINES. Library card number must be given for phone renewals. Items which are on hold for another user can not be renewed.
You will not be allowed to check out a book without either your physical card or the scannable facsimile of your card on your mobile device. If you visit the library without your card, you may ask the library if they would be willing to hold the books for you until you are able to retrieve your card and return.
Place or pick up holds
Library staff members can place holds on items for you. Holds may be placed on any circulating items owned by the Athens Regional Library System. In addition, holds may be placed on many titles owned throughout the state of Georgia in the PINES network. Videos, audiocassettes, new books, current bestsellers, software, microforms, CDs, or DVDs may not be placed on hold unless owned by the Athens Regional Library System. There is no fee for placing holds in PINES. You may also choose to place an item on hold by logging in to your Evergreen account on the PINES catalog.
To encourage the prompt return of material, the library has established a schedule of fines for those patrons who fail to return library materials by the date due.
- Overdue Books, Audiobooks and CDs: $.20/day
- Overdue DVDs and Videos (VHS): $.50/day
- Overdue Georgia State Park Pass or Historic Sites Pass: $3.00/day
- Overdue Zoo Atlanta DVD: $3.00/day
- Overdue Go Fish Education Center Pass: $3.00/day
- Overdue Interlibrary Loan: $1.00/day
Please come to the Circulation Desk to pay your fines.
Lost / damaged materials
When an item is declared “lost,” the cardholder’s account will be charged for the price of the item as listed in the PINES database plus a processing fee as designated by the owning library. The processing fee for materials owned by the Athens Regional Library System is $10.00 per item. The full replacement cost may be assessed if one or more parts of a multipart item are lost or missing. The Athens Regional Library System will not accept a replacement copy in lieu of payment for a lost or damaged item.
Charges for Damaged Library Materials
- Barcode removed: $10.00
- Booklet, DVD, CD, or part of kit /set missing: Supervisor or Branch Manager will assess usability. If remaining item is not useable without booklet, etc. the replacement price will be charged.
- Chewed cover or pages: $ .50/page; replacement price if book cannot be read.
- Crayon, Ink, Pencil Marks in book: $ .50/page; replacement price if page cannot be read.
- Dust Jacket missing: $1.00
- DVD or CD case missing / damaged: Replacement price
- Gum stuck to pages: Supervisor or Branch Manager will assess usability. If not usable, replacement price will be charged.
- Missing pages: Supervisor or Branch Manager will assess usability. If not usable, replacement price will be charged.
- Torn page: $ .50/page; replacement price if page cannot be read.
- Lost GA State Park Pass: $50
- Lost Historic Sites Pass: $50
- Lost Zoo Atlanta DVD: $30
- Lost Go Fish Education Center Pass: $50