Receptionist/Secretary - Athens-Clarke County Library
Salary: $8/hour, without benefits
Hours: 18 hours per week, average, between the hours of 8:30 am and 5 pm, M-F.
Bi-lingual (English-Spanish) ability preferred.
Deadline for applications: Open until Filled
Purpose & Scope
The purpose of this part-time job is to provide reception and secretarial support to the Administration Division of the Athens Regional Library System located at the Athens-Clarke County Library. Duties include but are not limited to answering the phone, preparing mail, renewing books, booking meeting rooms, typing, making copies, faxing, pulling books on hold, preparing PINES transit and Interlibrary Loan materials for mailing, organizing supplies, preparation for Administration meetings, and performing additional tasks as assigned. This position requires significant independent judgment and reports to the Library’s Administrative Assistant.
Minimum Training & Experience
Graduation from a standard high school; four years of college or business school or satisfactory equivalent combination of training and experience. Knowledge of good customer service principles and practices is vital. Computer experience/keyboard skills essential. Experience in administration or clerical activities is an added advantage.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The following are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties may be required as assigned and job assignments may change in the future.
- Answers the telephone following prescribed method; directs calls and voicemails to appropriate personnel; renews books; takes messages; answers basic questions on a variety of public services.
- Screens visitors. Public relations skills are necessary to ensure that all patron transactions are conducted in an efficient, positive, and professional manner, with every effort made to satisfy requests while upholding library policies.
- Reserve Meeting Rooms for patrons and staff following established guidelines and policies, including accepting checks/cash as maintenance fees for room bookings.
- Maintains daily staff calendar and posts daily bulletin board via email.
- Physically retrieve and prepare PINES transit and Interlibrary Loan materials for mailing following state mandated and Athens Regional Library System procedures.
- Provides clerical services, including but not limited to: copying, faxing, typing, filing, metering mail.
- Support Administration personnel as needed.
Knowledge & Skills
- Skill in oral and written communication. Possess excellent telephone etiquette.
- Ability to work with people with tact, patience and courtesy and to maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and the public.
- Public relations skills to ensure that all patron transactions are conducted in an efficient, positive and professional manner, with every effort made to satisfy requests while upholding library policies.
- Knowledge of computer systems, clerical techniques and modern office practices. Willingness to continue learning and training on such systems, machines, programs, and practices.
- Ability to follow instruction succinctly and learn new procedures in a timely manner.
- Ability to multitask on a daily basis.
- Ability to remain consistently calm and professional under busy conditions.
- Ability to maintain an attitude of constant improvement.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make decisions within guidelines.
- Physical requirements: Position requires full use of sight, hearing, speech, arms, hands, legs and feet; requires sitting, standing and walking; bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and lifting a minimum of 25 pounds frequently and 50 pounds occasionally. Requires ability to push carts full of books to other parts of the building. Physical ability to move or carry objects or materials; physical demand requirements are at levels of those of Medium work.
The Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Library may provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities & encourages prospective & current employees to discuss potential accommodations. The Library is a drug-free workplace & requires a pre-employment drug test & eVerify approval.
Submit online ARLS job application for this position. Please include a resume & cover letter describing qualifications for this position.
Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Library is a drug-free workplace and requires a pre-employment drug test and eVerify approval.
Submit online ARLS job application including a resume and cover letter describing why you feel you are qualified for this position.