Part-time Teen / Audiovisual Department Assistant - Athens-Clarke County Library
The Teen Services department of the Athens-Clarke County Library has an immediate opening for a part-time desk assistant. We are looking for a creative and enthusiastic team player who:
- enjoys working with the public, especially teens
- is knowledgeable technology and audiovisual equipment
- is enthusiastic about planning, marketing, and hosting programs for teens
Part Time Position, 16 hours per week, requires nights and weekends
Salary: $8.00 per hour, without benefits
Bilingual Spanish Skills Preferred
Deadline for applications: Open until filled.
Minimum Training & Experience
High school diploma or equivalent required, with college degree or college experience preferred. At least one year experience working with public is required, with library experience and working with the teenage population preferred.
A combination of education, training and experience that provides requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for the position may also be considered.
Purpose and Scope
This part-time position directly assists with the planning and presenting of programs to teens; provides computer assistance to library patrons in the family computing area; and provides AV set-up support for programs in the library's meeting rooms. This position reports directly to the Teen Services Supervisor.
Essential Job Functions
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Provides computer assistance to patrons
- Works with the other departmental staff to plan, implement, and present teen programs.
- Night and weekend hours required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of basic library operational principles and practices and application of ARLS policies, procedures, and activities
- Aptitude for creative projects such as displays, crafts, decorations, and publicity
- Ability to keep up-to-date with popular culture and technological advances that interest teens
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, in English
- Ability to handle a busy public service desk.
- Ability to remain calm under busy, stressful conditions
- Ability to work independently within established guidelines, and as part of a team.
- Ability to work with people with tact, patience, and courtesy
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills and ability to communicate successfully with patrons and staff
- Personal computer proficiency and the ability to use, understand, and assist patrons with various computer applications
- Organizational skills and the ability to prioritize assignments and activities
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable, and punctual attendance
- Physical ability to move or carry objects or materials. Must be able move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, &/or up to 10 to 25 pounds force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of Medium work.
Submit online ARLS job application for this position. Please include a resume, cover letter describing qualifications, and three references for this position.
The Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Library may provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities & encourages prospective & current employees to discuss potential accommodations. The Library is a drug-free workplace & requires a pre-employment drug test & eVerify approval.