Part-time Children's Shelving Assistant - Athens-Clarke County Library
The Athens-Clarke County Library is looking to hire an individual committed to offering the best library service to our community, an individual who doesn't settle for the ways it's been done, but instead looks for ways to excel and improve. We seek an enthusiastic, innovative and flexible individual who proactively searches for opportunities to make public library services relevant to all members of the community.
Part-time at 14 hours per week, requires regular night and weekend shifts.
Salary - $7.50/hour, without benefits.
Bilingual Spanish Skills Preferred
Deadline for Applications: Open until filled
Purpose and Scope
This part-time position primarily shelves library materials in the correct order, shelf reads to maintain the order, and rearranges or shifts the collection as required, so attention to detail is necessary. The position also requires minimal duty at the Children’s Area and the Young Adult/AV public service desks providing reference, and computer assistance to library patrons. This position may also assist with children’s programs. Excellent customer service skills, including approachability, patience, and tactfulness are required. This position requires limited independent judgment and works under the direct supervision of the Children’s Librarian. The schedule requires regular night and weekend shifts.
Minimum Training and Experience
Graduation from a standard high school and some college required. Library-related experience preferred. Or, any equivalent combination of education, training & experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, & abilities for the position. Must possess or have the ability to obtain a valid driver’s license.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Shelving materials in accurate location by alphabetical, numerical, chronological or Dewey Decimal order.
- Shelf reading to locate mis-shelved materials and to maintain accurate order of materials.
- Re-stocking displays with appropriate materials and shifting materials in the collection as needed on shelves.
- Straightening shelves and assigned areas.
- Assisting patrons locate library materials.
- Providing computer assistance to patrons.
- Maintaining knowledge of basic library policies and procedures.
- Maintaining knowledge of programs, activities, and facilities of the Athens Regional Library System.
- When covering public service desks, this position will be responsible for the management and operations of each department, and will be responsible for closing & security of the Children’s Department when working the evening shift.
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to see, read, and understand titles, authors, call numbers, and dates.
- Knowledge and understanding of the PINES online library catalog.
- Knowledge of collection layout and organization.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work cooperatively with patrons and Library staff.
- Knowledge of customer service principles and skill in providing customer service to patrons of all ages.
- Ability to remain calm under busy and stressful conditions.
- Knowledge of basic library policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of programs, activities, and facilities of the Athens Regional Library System.
- Ability to use, understand and assist patrons with computer applications.
- Ability to answer questions and explain procedures and policies.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make independent and critical decisions using established practices and procedures.
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable and punctual attendance.
- Physical ability to move or carry objects or materials. Must be able move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, &/or up to 10 to 25 pounds force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of Medium work.
Submit online ARLS job application for this position. Please include a resume, cover letter describing qualifications, and three references for this position.
The Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Library may provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities & encourages prospective & current employees to discuss potential accommodations. The Library is a drug-free workplace & requires a pre-employment drug test & eVerify approval.