Public Services Desk Assistant/Shelver - Athens-Clarke County Library
The Athens-Clarke County Library has an immediate opening for a Saturday public services desk assistant and shelver. The right person for the job must be dependable, energetic and hard-working, and must understand that getting books on the shelves correctly is essential to the public library’s mission.
Part-time position; without benefits.
Hours: 15/week - requires Saturday hours.
Bilingual Spanish Skills Preferred
Deadline for applications: Open until filled
Minimum Training & Experience
High school diploma or equivalent required, with college degree or college experience preferred. Or, any equivalent combination of education, training & experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, & abilities for the position
Purpose and ScopeThis position is comprised of two essential parts:
- Required hours are three hours (11 a.m.-2 p.m.) every Saturday. Duties during this time are filling in at the Information Desk and Heritage Room desk for 3 hours during staff lunches.
- The remaining 13 hours are for shelving library materials. Hours are set by the Circulation Manager.
Essential Job Functions
The following are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties of a similar nature or level may be required as assigned, and job assignments and work schedule are subject to change in the future.
- Shelve materials in accurate location by alphabetical, numerical, chronological or Dewey Decimal order.
- Shelf read to locate mis-shelved materials and to maintain accurate order of materials.
- Shift and straighten materials in the collection as needed on shelves.
- Assist patrons locate library materials.
- Assist on Saturdays at Information Services and Heritage Room desks
- Performing other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Ability to see, read, and understand titles, authors, call numbers, and dates to shelve books according to the Dewey Decimal System.
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge of collection layout and organization.
- Ability to work cooperatively with patrons and Library staff.
- Ability to use the PINES catalog
- Knowledge of basic library policies and procedures.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable and punctual attendance.
- Physical ability to move or carry objects or materials. Must be able move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, &/or up to 10 to 25 pounds force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of Medium work.
Submit online ARLS job application for this position. Please include a resume, cover letter describing qualifications, and three references for this position.
The Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Library may provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities & encourages prospective & current employees to discuss potential accommodations. The Library is a drug-free workplace & requires a pre-employment drug test & eVerify approval.