Part-time Branch Library Assistant Summer Intern - Oconee County Library
The Oconee County Library is hiring a temporary student intern to work with the Children's Specialist for 12 weeks during the Summer Reading Program. We seek an enthusiastic, innovative and flexible individual who proactively searches for opportunities to make public library services relevant to children and families of the community.
Salary: $8/hour, no benefits
Hours: 32 hours per week, some nights and Saturdays required
Bilingual skills (English and Spanish) preferred
Dates: May 8 - July 29, 2017
Deadline for applications: Open Until Filled
Purpose and Scope
This temporary student intern part time position at the Oconee County Library requires duty at the Children's public service desk and requires working closely with children and their families. It requires patience, tact, and knowledge of library collection, policies, and procedures. This position is responsible for planning and assisting in with children's programs and requires specialized skills and abilities in children's programming. This position participates in departmental planning for special projects. It requires mastering complex procedural and computer-related tasks and other special duties as assigned. The schedule requires weekend work. Reports to the Children's Specialist.
Minimum training and experience
High school diploma or equivalent and at least one year college required, with college degree preferred. At least one year experience working with children in group settings is required, with library experience preferred.
The following are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this job. Other duties of a similar nature or level may be required as assigned and job assignments may change in the future.
- Provides customer service to children and families, assisting with their information, circulation, computer use, programming, readers' advisory and other library-related needs
- Assists Children's Specialist in planning and implementing children's programs as assigned, such as story time, movies and other special events.
- Assists patrons with computer applications in the Children's Area using PINES, Microsoft Office applications, education software available on public computers, and other routine electronic tasks.
- Plans and assists with creative projects such as displays, crafts, decorations, posters, bulletin boards and publicity.
- Records statistics for Children's programs and services using Microsoft Excel.
- Provide support in many areas of daily library operations, including opening and closing the library; organizing and re-shelving materials, accepting fees and fines, assisting with photocopier, routing holds, and performing basic office duties, including answering telephones.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work effectively with patrons of all ages, especially children and parents. Patient and cheerful attitude essential
- Some knowledge of children's and teen literature
- Knowledge of basic library operational principles and practices. PINES experience a plus.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with the public, co-workers and supervisor
- Knowledge and application of ARLS and branch policies, procedures and activities
- Organizational skills and the ability to plan and prioritize assignments and activities
- Skill in using and understanding personal computers, programs and the internet for performing required duties
- Skill in assisting patrons with common computer applications and techniques
- Knowledge of all normal and emergency library building procedures
- Knowledge of basic office principles and skill in performing office support, including ability to collect cash money and make correct change
- Aptitude for creative projects such as displays, crafts, decorations and publicity
- Ability to work with patrons of all ages.
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable, & punctual attendance
- Ability to walk, climb, stoop, reach, bend, kneel, & crawl in order to handle & manage storage & retrieval of library materials & equipment
- Physical Requirements: Must be physically able to operate a variety of equipment including computer, telephone, photocopy machine, & audio/visual equipment. Must be able move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, &/or up to 10 to 25 pounds force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of Medium work.
The Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Library may provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations. The Library is a drug-free workplace and requires a pre-employment drug test and eVerify approval.
Submit online job application to apply for this position. Please include a resume & cover letter describing qualifications for this position.