GLASS (Georgia Libraries for Accessible Statewide Services) Outreach Specialist
This part-time position is unique in that is a partnership between Georgia Libraries for Accessible Statewide Services (georgialibraries.org/glass) and the Athens Regional Library System (athenslibrary.org). The purpose of this position is to promote the Talking Books Program and other library services for patrons with disabilities within a 22-county region in Northeast Georgia. Talking Books is a free library service available to U.S. residents and citizens living abroad whose low vision, blindness, or physical disability makes it difficult to read a standard printed page.
The position requires an innovative, proactive, enthusiastic approach. Successful candidates will be excited by new challenges, eager to learn, and energized by working to provide people with disabilities equal access to library services.
Bilingual Spanish Skills Preferred
Salary: $12.69 per hour
17 hours per week, without benefits
Deadline: Open Until Filled.
Schedule will be determined in advance but may vary from one week to the next. This position will include weekday hours with some evenings and frequent weekends. Ability to work Saturdays and Sundays is required.
The ideal candidate will have
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent record-keeping skills
- Understanding of marketing concepts and ability to strategize best methods for promoting GLASS services
- Ability to provide training to small groups
- Ability to give presentations to large groups
- Compassionate concern for equality of services to individuals with disabilities
- High comfort level with Microsoft Office software
- High comfort level with learning new applications for mobile technology
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team of additional Outreach Specialists.
- English-Spanish bilingual skills
- Excellent driving record
Minimum Training and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent & at least one year of college required, with college degree preferred. At least one year experience working with public is required, with library experience preferred. English-Spanish bilingual skills are a plus. Or, any equivalent combination of education, training & experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills & abilities for the position. Must possess an excellent, clean driving record, and possess or have the ability to obtain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Organizes and implements outreach programs within the defined service area in cooperation with agencies that include, but are not limited to: local public libraries, schools, agencies that provide service to eligible populations, civic organizations, and the general public.
- Performs as GLASS (Georgia Libraries Accessibility Services Statewide) program liaison for the defined service area in Northeast Georgia, developing contacts and programs to increase the awareness of patrons and potential patrons of the GLASS program.
- Refers operational/organizational problems and concerns to the GLASS Regional Library Director as needed for continuous program improvement.
- Introduces potential library patrons, their caregivers, their service providers and other agencies in the use of the GLASS automated catalog system and to other assistive technology that may be found in libraries and available for public use.
- Distributes awareness materials and patron applications to various libraries, agencies that serve eligible populations and to individuals, so as to track the effectiveness of such outreach activities
- Implements and interprets policies and procedures for outreach developed by NLS (National Library Services for the Blind and Physically Handicapped) and GLASS.
- Attends a quarterly meeting of all GLASS Outreach Specialists
- Assists in the creation and compilation of an Outreach Manual for GLASS services, sharing best practices
- Maintains meticulous statistics on outreach activities per the recommendations of the Regional Librarian.
- Independently maintains an inventory of NLS publicity and GLASS provided publicity; shares any locally produced outreach materials for review
- Maintains a contact file of agencies and organizations, keeping information on dates of visits, what materials were left, when a follow-up visit is scheduled, and other information that supports a continuation of contact.
- Contributes articles to the GLASS newsletter
- Cooperates with other GLASS Outreach Specialists to assist in outreach coverage when key meetings are scheduled at the same time, this may be mean travel outside of the assigned service area, not to exceed 4 times per year.
- Performs other related duties specifically related to GLASS outreach as assigned or requested.
- Ability to work with people with tact, patience and courtesy.
- Ability to use good judgment and make independent and critical decisions using established practices and procedures.
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable and punctual attendance
- Knowledge of basic library operational principles and practices and application of ARLS policies, procedure, and activities as they pertain to the performance of duties relating to the position of the GLASS Outreach Specialist.
- Knowledge of all normal and emergency library building procedures
- Physical Requirements: Must be physically able to operate a variety of equipment including computer, telephone, copy machine & TTY equipment. Must be able move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, &/or up to 10 to 25 pounds force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of Medium work.
Work EnvironmentThe GLASS Outreach Specialist will have an office space at the Athens Regional Library’s main branch at 2025 Baxter Street in Athens, GA. This position will work in collaboration with other GLASS Outreach Specialists to best reach out to the community in the defined service area. One-two full days per week will be spent traveling by car (provided by the program) within Northeast Georgia. The GLASS Outreach Specialist will give presentations to small groups and large groups, will market GLASS services at fairs and festivals, and will talk one-on-one with interested partners and individuals. Additional time will be spent on planning in the office. No overnight travel.
Submit online ARLS job application for this position. Please include a resume & cover letter describing qualifications for this position.
The Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Library may provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities & encourages prospective & current employees to discuss potential accommodations. The Library is a drug-free workplace & requires a pre-employment drug test & eVerify approval.