Computer Assistant - Athens-Clarke County Library
The Athens-Clarke County Library has an immediate opening for a part-time computer assistant. This position assists patrons using library computers, including helping with software and Internet sites. The computer assistant also assists library patrons with basic reference questions. This position reports to the Assistant Director for Public Services.
Part-Time, 17 hours per week. Morning hours 9-12 or 9-1
Salary: $8/hour, without benefits
Deadline: Open Until Filled.
Minimum Training and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent required. Four years of college desirable or four years of library-related experience and significant computer-related experience, or satisfactory combination of training and experience. Computer and Internet experience essential. Bi-lingual (English-Spanish) ability preferred.
The following are normal, but not exclusive or all-inclusive, expectations for this position. Other duties may be required and assigned, and duties may change in the future:
- Assists library patrons using public access computers
- Assists with applications, CD/DVD burners, scanner and other peripherals and equipment for patron use
- Assists patrons in locating specific titles in the Library's collection
- Answers patrons' directional and basic reference questions
- Provides a 45 minute one-on-one tutorial every Thursday morning for one patron.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of operations, services and activities of the Athens-Clarke County Library
- Knowledge of policies and procedures of the Athens-Clarke County Library.
- Knowledge of good customer service practices and the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with Library patrons and staff.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and other Office programs in a Windows environment.
- Working knowledge of software applications on library computers, such as, but not limited to, resume maker, Adobe Standard and Adobe Photoshop Illustrator.
- Knowledge of the Internet, including how websites work as well as search techniques.
- Knowledge of the use of various forms of storage media, including burning CDs and DVDs
- Knowledge of library technology services, including downloadable books and magazines, and ability to assist patrons in their use.
- Ability to assist library patrons with Internet sites, software, e-mail, PINES catalog and library databases.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, in English
- Ability to work independently within established guidelines, and as part of a team.
- Ability to handle a busy public service desk
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable and punctual attendance.
- Physical ability to move or carry objects or materials. Must be able move or carry objects or materials. Must be able to exert up to 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, &/or up to 10 to 25 pounds force frequently. Physical demand requirements are at levels of those of Medium work.
Submit online ARLS job application for this position. Please include a resume & cover letter describing qualifications for this position.
The Athens Regional Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Library may provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations. The Library is a drug-free workplace and requires a pre-employment drug test and eVerify approval.