All Athens Regional Library System branches’ buildings remain closed to the public at this time. We now offer curbside holds pickup and are accepting returns in our book drops, Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays at most branches. Please contact us at if you have any questions regarding library service during this time. For more information about the libraries' phased re-entry plans, please click here

covid 19 watch learn and do graphic library events
Summer Reading Program


Please visit our 2020 FAQs for updated information about Passport Services.

Photo of a passport on a map.

Acceptance of U.S. Passport Applications

The Athens-Clarke County Library accepts passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State. U.S. citizens planning international travel may apply for their passports at the Library.

  • Passport Service Hours
    Monday - Thursday 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
    Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Saturday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Sunday 2 p.m. - 5 p.m.
  • Other Passport Information
  • If you have questions please call 706-613-3650, ext. 356, or email the Reference desk at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

return to top

Answers to Your Questions

Who provides the U.S. Acceptance Service?

Designated Library staff shall be official Passport Acceptance Agents. In this capacity we are required to follow all Federal rules and regulations with no exceptions.

You will be denied service if you do not supply the required documentation or adhere to U.S. Passport Acceptance rules and regulations.

return to top

What is acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship?

  • You must provide the ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE, or a Certified copy (a copy with a raised seal), or an expired passport.
    Unacceptable Birth Certificates include:
    • Photocopies
    • Notarized Copies
    • Hospital Birth Certificates
    • Baptismal Certificates
    • Birth Registrations
  • Your CERTIFIED BIRTH CERTIFICATE will be submitted with your passport application. Please make a copy of your BIRTH CERTIFICATE as it will be inserted into the application.
  • If you are a naturalized U.S. Citizen you must provide your CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION. This certificate will be submitted with your passport application.
  • These original documents will be returned with your new passport.

return to top

Where can I obtain a Certified Birth Certificate?

For Georgia-born residents this certificate may be obtained by contacting the Georgia office of Vital Records at:
Vital Records
2600 Skyland Drive NE
Atlanta, GA 30319-3640

or go to:

For all others states, you may contact the department of vital records for the State in which you were born, or go to, or call 1-800-255-2414.

return to top

What is acceptable proof of identification?

Adults may submit their current valid Driver's License, government-issued ID card, or other forms of identity (call 706-613-3650, ext. 356 for details).

return to top

Are the passport forms available for download?

Passport forms are available for download in PDF format via the State Department Web pages at

return to top

Where do I get the photographs?


  • Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
Athens-Clarke County Library does not take the passport photographs. 
The businesses closest the to library that do are: CVS, Walgreens, and The FEDEX Store." 

return to top

What do I do if I have lost or damaged my passport?

If you have lost or damaged your current U.S. Passport, you must apply for a new passport and you must submit all original documentation. For a lost passport, you must also submit the form DS-64, "Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport."

If your passport was stolen, you need to contact Passport Services immediately. You must apply for a new passport using the information above.

return to top

My passport has recently expired. How do I renew it?

Citizens wishing to renew their U.S. passports which are less than 15 years old from the date of issue may pick up the renewal form at the library and then submit them through the mail. Applicants must have been at least 16 years of age when last passport was issued. If the last name has changed because of marriage, the applicant must show I.D. with same last name, or a certified name change document must be presented. You can also download a Passport Renewal Form here.

return to top

How long will it take to get my passport?

You can view passport application processing times at the U.S. Department of State website:

The Athens-Clarke County Library mails all completed applications Monday through Friday using a priority mail rate. However, if you wish to have your application materials sent by overnight delivery to and from the passport processing center, there will be additional charges:

  • Application mailed overnight by USPS Express Mail: Add $25.50 to check to Library execution fee.
  • Passport mailed overnight (back to applicant, after printing): Add $17.13 to Dept of State application fee. The passport should be received in approxomately 2-3 weeks.

Please be advised that the Athens-Clarke County Library has no authority to modify time frames. Once the applications leave our facility, we have no control over the passport-issuing process.

return to top

What if I need my passport sooner than the Expedite Service delivery date?

If you are a U.S. citizen traveling in less than 14 days, or needing your passport for Foreign visas then contact the U.S. Department of State to find your nearest passport agency. Appointments are necessary. Proof of travel is required. Call: 1-877-487-2778, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

There are also Hand-carry agencies that, for a fee, will handle this procedure for you. Check online or in your local Yellow Pages under "Passports."

return to top

How much does it cost to get a passport at the library?

Fees are payable by check or money order only. Fees are payable to the "U.S. Department of State" as follows:

  • New or Replacement Book, or Renewal of Passport Book: Passport books are required for all international air travel.
    • $110.00 for persons age 16 and older
    • $80.00 for persons under the age of 16
    • Expedited Service: an additional $60.00 per application
  • New or Replacement Passport Card, or Renewal of Passport Card: Please note that passport cards are valid only for travel by land or sea to Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean.
    • $30 for persons age 16 and older
    • $15 for persons under the age of 16

What is the Acceptance or Execution fee?

The Acceptance/Execution Fee of $35.00 is paid as a separate fee to any Acceptance Agency, including the Athens-Clarke County Library. The fee is per application. The Library also accepts cash, personal checks (not starter checks), or money orders for the Execution fee.

return to top

Do my children need to accompany me when applying for their passports?

All applicants, including children, must be present when applying for a U.S. Passport.

If both parents are listed on the birth certificate, then both parents MUST be present and show identification when applying for their child's passport if the child is under the age of 16. If one parent cannot be present when applying for their child's passport, the parent's consent must be notarized on either a "Statement of Consent" form (DS-3053), or in a separate notarized letter.

A certified birth certificate must also be presented when renewing a child's passport when the child is still under 16 years of age. Passport patrons aged 16 and 17 who have their own Driver's License are still considered minors and must have at least one parent with ID present.

return to top

What if I have been divorced and have remarried since I last applied for my passport?

If your current married name is shown on your current identification, you will submit your application, birth certificate or expired passport. There is space at the bottom of the application for former names (maiden, married).

If your current married name is not shown on your current identification, you will submit your application, birth certificate or expired passport, and your original marriage certificate.

return to top

Are there any other important changes to passport policies I should know about?

Plan ahead and get your passport now! It takes weeks to process an application.

As of June 1, 2009 you must have a passport book or passport card to enter the United States.

return to top

My question has not been asked and answered here. Where can I go for more information?

For more information call the National Passport Information Center at their TOLL FREE number: (877) 487-2778.

return to top

Virtual Storytime

Tumblebooks collection logo

Ereads Kids - Ebooks for Kids

GALILEO: Georgia's Virtual Library

glass banner

census and children

be a voter graphic